You think I’d be done decorating my tree by now. But a DIY idea came along and I just had to make this one last set of ornaments! Let me show you how.
1. I’m all about recycling and making the most of what you have at home. So the materials I used are: bottle caps (metal or plastic), photos, fabric scraps and/or felt, ribbon, white glue, hot glue and/or double sided tape. I included different types of gluing materials because you have to see what works best with the fabric you have. Hot glue does not stick on some metal bottle caps so you just have to test what’s best to use with the materials available to you.
2. Get a photo and cut it into the size of your bottle cap. The smallest I used came from an iced tea bottle and it was about an inch and a half in diameter. Glue the photo inside the cap.
3. Wrap the outside of your bottle cap with a ribbon. Some of the caps I used were bright green in color and already liked it so I decided not to wrap them with ribbon anymore.
4. Using a strip of fabric, make ruffles or fringes along the edge of the cap. Another way to decorate is to use fabric or felt and make petals or a sunburst around the cap. Fold each petal onto the back and glue to secure.
5. Cut a strip of ribbon, at least for inches in length, and make a loop at the back of the cap.
6. Cover the back with a circular piece of fabric or felt that is the same size as the bottle cap. In this way, you secure the ribbon and ruffles, and also make the back of your ornament look neat.
That’s it! Make big ones and small ones. Make one for each member of your family. Mix and match fabric. Just have fun!
My Summer loves them and she likes naming the people on each ornament. I even included photos of her cousins! I also like how they made my little tree look extra special.
Now I’m done trimming my tree. This is the final touch I’ve been looking for and I think it’s just perfect! Merry Christmas, everyone! Keep crafting! 🙂
Check out the other projects in our 12 Crafts for Christmas:
No 12: Paper Crafts on Wreath
No 11: “Oh What Fun” Paper Mobile
No 10: DIY Advent Calendar
No 9: Christmas Themed Art Display
No 8: DIY Fabric Wrapped Christmas Balls
No 7: A Joyful, Joyful Pillowcase